Friday 21 July 2017

Abigail's Birthday Again

Hello, have you ever sat in your crafting space, just waiting for inspiration to strike? Well that was me recently; I had started tidying it up but knew I needed to make a birthday card for my daughter, Abigail. The new me is trying to be organised. No leaving it until the day before it needs posting any more!


I wanted to incorporate heat embossing on vellum again after trying it out the other week. I chose to use Elegant Eggplant, Old Olive and Whisper White; more by luck than planning as it dawned on me while I was working that the Wimbledon tennis championship was due to start the following day. Does that give an indication as to how far in advance I was working?


I got my stamping press out to stamp the design on 2 tags in white card and vellum to ensure the design lined up. I used Versamark with white embossing powder for the vellum and black for the cardstock. With the card and vellum lined up I used the Scalloped Tag Topper punch which gives a very pretty top edge.  The corners at the bottom were rounder to continue the softness. I have more ideas flooding my brain using this punch. So many ideas, so little time.

While I coloured the design on the reverse of the vellum using ink pads and blender pens, I water coloured very loosely, going over the stamped lines, using the inkpads and aqua painters for an informal look. After matting and layering, I felt my card looked a tad too white; the tags needed to pop more. So, in keeping with the theme, I very quickly used my larger aqua painter to water colour the card, just running the brush backwards and forwards, leaving small area of white showing.

Neither ribbon in Old Olive or Elegant Eggplant showed up after a search of the craft room; wouldn’t have expected it to really as I have a very small stash of ribbons and embellishments. I did, however, have white! Although I now have very inky fingers, I also have Elegant Eggplant ribbon. So, my quick tip is to keep a supply of white ribbon of varying widths that can be coloured when needed.

Of course, because this birthday card is for Abby, it HAD to include a bee! I was so lucky to win Dragonfly Dreams; the bee is just perfect.

The finished design - I hope she likes it






No comments:

Post a Comment